Tom Kishchuk (he/him)
P. Eng., M. Sc., B. Sc.
Structured Team Member
HIGHLIGHTS RELATED TO CLEAN ENERGY
- Starting in 1996 lead team to establish after sales service business for thermal and hydro turbines/generators in Canada and Australia. Project manager for refurbishment of SaskPower Nipawin Hydro Power Station Kaplan style turbine units from 2003 to 2005;
- Starting in 2002 lead teams to develop marketing, sales and manufacturing capability for production of wind turbine towers to meet the needs of SaskPower wind projects in Saskatchewan. Following success of Saskatchewan projects, towers were manufactured and exported to projects in British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Nova Scotia, Montana and Idaho;
- Lead technology transfer from wind turbine manufacturers based in Germany and Denmark to Saskatoon facility. Enabled optimization of manufacturing process to achieve record high production level of 14 wind tower sections per week in 2009;
- Starting in 2009 lead teams to develop marketing, sales and manufacturing capability for production of penstock pipe for about ten run of river hydro projects in British Columbia and Alberta;
- In 2010 lead team to establish a MOU between the Province of Saskatchewan and Hitachi, Ltd. for collaboration on energy and environment technology development for a low carbon low carbon economy. Received certificate of commendation from President of Hitachi, Ltd. for contributions to this project;
- From 2013 to 2014 was member of SaskPower/Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems Canada/Hitachi Japan joint oversight committee for design and construction of carbon capture amine test facility at SaskPower Shand Power Station;
- From 2012 to 2015 acted as advisor to University of Saskatchewan Industrial Liaison Office to support the establishment of joint research projects between the University of Saskatchewan and Hitachi-GE Nuclear for advancement of basic technologies for small modular reactor design;
- From 2013 to present member of Board of Directors of the Sylvia Fedoruk Canadian Center for Nuclear Innovation. Elected Chair of Board in 2019. Provided Board level oversight for the construction and commissioning of the provinces first cyclotron at the Saskatchewan Center for Cyclotron Sciences which became fully operational in late 2016;
- In 2017 lead a team that completed an electrical load balance for 600 retail and corporate locations in Saskatchewan using wind, PV solar and Li-ion battery storage, to gain an understanding of how to maintain store operations during long term power disruptions;
- From 2018 to 2020 was member of executive steering committee for refinery reconfiguration roadmap project;
- In 2019 lead team that completed the acquisition of the Terra Grains ethanol facility at Belle Plaine, SK. Lead the integration of the operation into the parent company;
- From 2019 to 2020 was executive sponsor for design and construction of electric vehicle charging network in western Canada;
- From 2019 to 2020 was executive sponsor for design and construction of storage and blending (biodiesel and ethanol) terminal located at Ashcroft, BC;
- From 2020 to 2022 contracted as Chief Operating Officer for the DEEP Earth Energy Production Corp. geothermal power project. Project is currently in the detailed engineering phase;
- In 2020 was contracted by First Nations Power Authority (FNPA) to develop strategy for monetization of GHG emissions offset credits;
- In 2021 was contracted by SaskPower/FNPA as co-lead of seven engagement sessions with Saskatchewan First Nations and Metis peoples on SaskPower’s long term clean energy options.
HIGHLIGHTS RELATED TO ROLE AS TECHNICAL BUSINESS ADVISOR
- Founding employee (1989) and first Canadian President and CEO (2006 to 2015) for Saskatoon based subsidiary of a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Japan. As a member of the founding team we grew the heavy industrial manufacturing and service business from 25 to 375 employees over a 12 year period (1989 to 2001);
- 30+ years of direct technical and business operational experience in a wide range of roles and organizations, on both the owner side of business and the supplier side of business;
- Have observed and studied the structure and behaviors of 100+ organizations in Canada, USA, Asia, and Europe for the purpose of quality system audits, business development and due diligence. Have a thorough understanding of business culture in Canada, Japan, United States and Australia. Have a solid understanding of where and how value is created and sustained within an organization;
- Have successfully lead multiple large and complex change management events including three major downsizing events, one national amalgamation and one international merger;
- Have successfully built a new international power plant service business unit from scratch;
- Have a solid understanding of regulatory requirements for a wide range of operations and have established integrated management systems for safety, environment and quality. Have formal training and significant experience for auditing small and large organizations in the areas of health and safety, environment and quality;
- 20+ years of successful experience for international technology transfer and product and service commercialization. In 2016 created a $2 million per year innovation (commercialization) fund to explore early stage investment opportunities and expose internal staff to work environments that enable innovation including participation in the Co.Labs Corporate Incubation Program;
- Active as an angel investor since 2014 (SCN, Valhalla and Startup TNT) and have made eight investments to date. Investment thesis includes active mentorship of founders;
- Through employment and volunteer activities have gained significant governance experience related to business corporations, co-operatives and not for profits. To date have logged 35 director years in six business organizations and have volunteered for 27 director years in four community organizations.
- Ivey Executive Program: Richard Ivey School of Business – University of Western Ontario, 2001;
- M. Sc.: Master of Science, Mechanical Engineering (Materials Science) – University of Saskatchewan, 1989, thesis topic: Corrosion Fatigue of Aluminum Alloys;
- B. Sc.: Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, with distinction – University of Saskatchewan, 1987.
TPK Management Consulting Inc. June 2020 – present
- Principal consultant helping organizations in the clean tech industry grow, improve and pivot;
- Business and technical advisor to several early-stage clean tech companies;
- Business and technical advisor to First Nations Power Authority (November 2020 to present);
- Contracted as Chief Operating Officer of DEEP Earth Energy Production Corp., a geothermal power project under development in Saskatchewan (November 2020 to July 2022).
Federated Co-operatives Limited August 2015 – May 2020
Vice-President Operational Support
- Responsible for the Health and Safety, Logistics, Construction, and Business Development functions. Provided executive leadership for the operation of Interprovincial Co-operatives Limited, in Winnipeg, MB and Terra Grain Fuels at Belle Plaine, SK;
- Designed and developed health and safety team to support corporate and retail business operations;
- Logistics function was responsible to deliver food and home/building supplies to over 2,300 locations across western Canada utilizing five distribution centers;
- Construction function was responsible for the delivery of 150+ projects per year ranging in value from $100K to $75M;
- Established Business Development team to 1) identify, evaluate and negotiate acquisition growth opportunities, and 2) seek out and commercialize early-stage technologies for use by member retails.
Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems Canada, Ltd. 1989 – 2015
President and CEO November 2006 – July 2015
- Had accountability for health and safety, product design, sourcing, procurement, manufacturing, after sales service, sales, marketing, business development, and administration;
- Provided regular financial and operational reporting to shareholder and developed and executed one, three and five year business plans based on group company strategy;
- Focused on the identification and mitigation of business risks and on the identification and achievement of new business opportunities.
General Manager, Operations December 2001 – October 2006
- Lead the consistent application of lean principles throughout the manufacturing operations;
- Championed multiple value engineering for customer (VEC) projects to increase value of services provided to customers;
- Established and utilized reporting systems for cost, quality and delivery;
- Approved manufacturing process plans for turbine components, wind turbine towers, pressure vessels and heat exchangers.
After Sales Service Division Manager September 1996 – November 2001
- Lead the development of a new power generation equipment service business that had previously been based in Japan;
- Visited power stations in Canada and Australia to review operational records and to discuss customer needs for planned overhauls;
- Established methods and production teams for manufacturing and servicing of turbine and generator components.
Quality Assurance Manager April 1993 – August 1996
- Lead the development and implementation of an ISO 9001 Quality Management System;
- Established and executed training plans for NDT inspectors;
- Conducted root cause analysis and dispositioned product nonconformances.
Planning Engineer August 1991 – March 1993
- Accepted customer orders and created work packages based on customer specifications;
- Participated in visits to customer locations for business development activities.
Design Engineer (stationed in Japan at Hitachi Works, Hitachi City) September 1990 – July 1991
- Received factory training for the design of components for large power generation turbines and generators;
- Observed manufacturing methods for raw materials (rolled plate, castings, forgings);
- Toured power generation sites under construction and under maintenance to observe equipment function and condition after long term operation.
Production Engineer October 1989 – August 1990
- Developed welding procedures in accordance with international codes;
- Supervised application of welding and inspection procedures in shop.
- 2015 – Due Diligence and Valuation of Early Stage Companies, SCN, Saskatoon, SK;
- 2014 – Safety Essentials for Supervisors, Safety Association of Saskatchewan Manufacturers, Saskatoon, SK;
- 2013 – Leadership Practices Inventory, Linda McCann, Saskatoon, SK;
- 2011 – Hitachi Global Leadership Program, Hitachi, Ltd., Tokyo, Japan;
- 2010 – Key Concepts of Lean, Lean Enterprise Institute, Saskatoon, SK;
- 2009 – Integrated Internal Auditor Course ISO 9001:2008, ISO 14001:2004, OHSAS 18001:2007, BSI Management Systems, Saskatoon, SK;
- 2009 – Meyers Briggs Type Indicator, Linda McCann, Saskatoon, SK;
- 2007 – Executive Lean Program, Lean Sensei, Saskatoon, SK;
- 2005 – The Effective Office, High Performance Solutions, Saskatoon, SK;
- 2004 – Value Stream Mapping, High Performance Solutions, Saskatoon, SK;
- 2004 – Project Management Principles and Techniques, EXP Consulting, Saskatoon, SK;
- 2000 – Employee Concern Resolution, R.D. Elliot Center for Management, Saskatoon, SK;
- 2000 – Leading Teams: Through Understanding Self and Others, Extension Division, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK;
- 1999 – Management Development Program, College of Commerce, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK;
- 1995 – Quality Auditor Certification Program, American Society for Quality Control, Saskatoon, SK;
- 1995 – Lead Assessor Training, Lloyd’s Register Quality Assurance, Cocoa Beach, FL.
VOLUNTEER LEADERSHIP ACTIVITIES
- 2019-present – Chair, U of S College of Engineering Deans Advisory Board;
- 2016-2020 – Director, Safe Saskatchewan;
- 2015–2020 – Director, Saskatchewan Health Quality Council;
- 2013-present – Chair (from 2019) and Director, Sylvia Fedoruk Canadian Center for Nuclear Innovation;
- 2013-2015 – Chair, Saskatchewan Manufacturing Council, Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters;
- 2012-2015 – National Director, Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters;
- 2012-2017 – Director, Saskatoon Community Foundation;
- 2009-2012 – Advisory Council Member, Enterprise Saskatchewan Manufacturing Sector Team;
- 2006-2016 – Member and Chair, Board of Trustees, McClure United Church;
- 2006-2019 – Coach, Saskatoon Minor Hockey Association;
- 2006-2010 – Chair, School Community Council, Wildwood School;
- 2000-2005 – Chair, Stewardship Committee, McClure United Church.
SELECTED INVITED SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- 2015 – Leadership in Health and Safety, Motor Safety Association, Saskatoon, SK;
- 2015 – Powering the Province of Saskatchewan – Past, Present and Future, APEGS Annual Conference, Saskatoon, SK;
- 2012 – Hitachi Experience for Workplace Injury Reduction, Saskatchewan Workers Compensation Board Priority 50 Seminar, Regina, SK;
- 2012 – Transition Enabled by Innovation, SaskPower Power Production Annual Conference, Saskatoon, SK;
- 2011 – Convergence of Continuous Improvement and an Integrated Management System for Safety, Environment and Quality, Association for Manufacturing Excellence Measure up for Success Conference Calgary, AB;
- 2009 – Building and Sustaining Organizational Capacity for Continuous Improvement, Board of Directors, Saskatoon Health Region, Saskatoon, SK;
- 2009 – Saskatchewan Business Outlook, Board of Governors, Bank of Canada, Regina, SK;
- 2008 – Partnerships, SaskPower Leadership Conference, Saskatoon, SK.