Janelle is a lawyer and member in good standing with the Law Society of Saskatchewan. She is also a designated Governance Professional (GPC.D) and holds a certificate in regulatory compliance and legal risk management.
Janelle helps organizations achieve their strategic objectives while maintaining compliance with legal and regulatory obligations and alignment with stakeholder expectations. Janelle believes good governance is more than a legal or compliance exercise and can be achieved though clear and effective structures, practices, and procedures tailored to an organization and its unique needs, objectives, and context. Janelle seeks first to understand these aspects of your organization so she can recommend practical solutions to a wide range of governance, compliance, and corporate matters.
Prior to joining Procido LLP in 2023, Janelle honed her technical and strategic governance and compliance expertise through in-house service to a federally regulated bank: three years directing and overseeing governance and two years managing regulatory compliance. Janelle also served for two years as Crown Counsel to the Government of Saskatchewan Ministry of Justice managing the Ministry’s Innovation Agenda, advancing several public policy initiatives, and collaborating with a range of justice organizations, leaders, and stakeholders across Saskatchewan.
Janelle began her legal career as an articling student and associate in general legal practice for two years with a mid-sized Saskatoon law firm. Janelle has also served as a summer student to a small immigration law firm in Saskatoon, a research assistant on five distinct research grants through the University of Saskatchewan, and a project development intern to a small Saskatoon real estate developer. Janelle has served her community through a range of volunteer engagements, including coodinating a legal advice clinic, and service on various non-profit boards.
- Corporate Governance
- Environmental Social Governance (ESG)
- Regulatory Compliance Management and Risk Management
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Employment Law
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Provided in-house strategic and operational governance leadership.
- Advised the board and management as an executive officer and Vice-President (Corporate Secretary) of a federally regulated bank.
- Coordinated all board, committee, and shareholder meetings, maintaining corporate records and regulatory filings.
- Managed governance policies and practices to support effective board oversight, operations, reporting, and stakeholder relations.
Environmental Social Governance (ESG):
- Collaborated with a cross-functional team and supported the development of an ESG strategy for a federally regulated bank.
- Developed a framework for ESG oversight by the Board of Directors.
Regulatory Compliance Management and Risk Management:
- Managed the Regulatory Compliance Management (RCM) program of a federally regulated bank, including supporting the design, development, testing, and roll-out of a comprehensive Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC) tool.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
- Provided in-house governance counsel through the $495M sale and acquisition of a federally regulated bank.
- Collaborated with a small team of internal and external counsel.
- Supported the auction sale process of the majority shareholder, including extensive due diligence, share purchase agreement negotiation, and oversight of internal compliance with restrictive covenants during a 10-month pre-close interim period.
- Coordinated the share divestiture structure and process for 170 participating minority institutional shareholders.
- Supported the Board of Directors of a federally regulated bank in overseeing executive compensation and implementing employee incentive and performance management structures.
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT AND VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
- Cohort Leader, Dispute Resolution Program, College of Law, University of Saskatchewan (2021-2023)
- Director, Governance & Risk Committee Chair, Friends of the Broadway Theatre (2020-2021)
- Representative, Legal Services Task Team Working Group (Joint Initiative of Ministry of Justice and Law Society of Saskatchewan) (2018)
- Representative, Chief Justice of Canada’s National Action Committee on Access to Civil and Family Justice (2016-2018)
- Board Member, Public Legal Education Association of Saskatchewan (2017-2018)
- Member and Co-Coordinator, Saskatchewan Access to Justice Working Group (2016-2018)
- Member, Children’s Wish Foundation Saskatchewan Chapter Advisory Board (2016-2018)
- Member, Dean’s Forum on Access to Justice Steering Committee (2013-2015)
- Editorial Board Member, Saskatchewan Law Review (2013)
- Coordinator, Legal Advice Clinic, CLASSIC: Clinical Legal Assistance Services for Saskatoon Inner City (2012-2013)
- Member, Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Member, Governance Professionals of Canada
- Member, Institute of Corporate Directors
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Banker’s Association (past)
BAR ADMISSIONS & EDUCATION
- Designated Governance Professional (GPC.D), Governance Professionals of Canada, 2022
- Regulatory Compliance and Legal Risk Management for Financial Institutions (Certificate), Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 2019
- Saskatchewan Bar, 2015
- Juris Doctor (Great Distinction), University of Saskatchewan, 2014
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours), Regional and Urban Planning, University of Saskatchewan, 2010
- Sessional Lecturer, University of Saskatchewan, College of Law, (2015), Special Topics: Dean’s Forum on Access to Justice
- Presenter, “Leading and Influencing Without Formal Authority” (2023) Women in Leadership Conference, Saskatoon
- Brea Lowenberger, Michaela Keet & Janelle Anderson, “Collaborative Policy-Making, Law Students, and Access to Justice: The Rewards of Destabilizing Institutional Patterns” (2017) The Windsor Yearbook on Access to Justice
- Anderson, Janelle, “Clinical Legal Education: Perspectives from Former Clinical Law Students” (2013) 37:1 Manitoba Law Journal
- Anderson, Janelle, “Book Note: Oral History on Trial: Recognizing Aboriginal Narratives in the Courts” (2013) 76:2 Saskatchewan Law Review
- Panel Presenter, “The Clinic in the Community” (2013) Association of Canadian Clinical Legal Educators (ACCLE) Conference: Core Foundations and New Directions, Schulich School of Law, Dalhousie University
- Panel Presenter, “Professional Identity Formation and Clinical Education” (2012) Association of Canadian Clincial Legal Educators (ACCLE) Conference: Raising the Bar: Innovations and Best Practices in Clinical Legal Education, Robson Hall, University of Manitoba
PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND AWARDS
- Member Spotlight, Governance Professionals of Canada (2021)
- Harris and Lauretta and Raymond Earl Parr Memorial Scholarship in Law (2013)
- BLG Research Fellowship (2012)
- University of Saskatchewan Scholarship (Academic achievement) (2012)
- APCPS Andy Campbell Award (Highest academic performance) (2011)
- Canadian Institute of Planners Student Award (Highest academic performance) (2011)
- Regional and Urban Planning Convocation Award (Highest academic performance) (2011)
- University of Saskatchewan Scholarship (Academic achievement) (2010)
- University of Saskatchewan Scholarship (Academic achievement) (2009)
- M.J. Coldwell Prize in Canadian Affairs (Highest academic performance) (2009)