Rob Hendry is an intellectual property lawyer, Canadian and U.S. patent agent, and Canadian trademark agent, with a focus on patent prosecution, large portfolio management, technology related due diligence, strategic advising, and technology commercialization. With a business-focused approach arising from his years as in-house counsel with a multinational group of energy companies, Rob looks for the value he can bring to clients wherever they are and whatever they need to accomplish
Rob has provided cost-effective and strategically focused legal services to clients over the past two decades, across numerous sectors and industries.
- Rob works with companies, universities, and entrepreneurial innovators to establish strategic patent assets that generate competitive advantage and opportunities for growth and profit.
- Working within a business model approach, Rob helps clients to understand how and why patent assets can provide value for them where they are.
- Whether a large international portfolio or a single key patent, he works with clients to create a patenting strategy that gets them what they need.
Technology Clearance and Due Diligence
- Too often businesses embrace a technology and push ahead with full energy- only to find a third-party patent blocking the path. Or they seek to acquire a technology asset, only to find after closing that the patent portfolio is mostly expired or too narrow to provide significant value.
- Rob becomes part of the commercial team that vets technology plays and makes sure our client has the information necessary to properly assess the opportunity.
- You have an invention- but how do you extract value from that? Rob has many years of experience working with clients to find the right way to commercialize their intellectual property assets..
- Negotiating joint research and development projects- whatever you need, Rob can work with you to assess the opportunity and find a solution that make sense for you.
- Drafting, filing, and managing international patent portfolios for hydrogen group of companies
- Patent and trademark portfolio work for international energy company
- Was in-house IP counsel for multinational energy group of companies
- Worked with several start-up technology companies to establish patent position, supporting fundraising and international business opportunities
- Helped numerous US and overseas clients obtain patent and trademark protection in Canada
- Established global network of IP professionals to assist Canadian clients with international rights
- Negotiated suite of agreements for multinational client enabling development and deployment of wildlife preservation technology
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT AND VOLUNTEER EXPEREINCE
- Co-Chair, Public Awareness Committee of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Board Member, Saskatoon Zoo Foundation
- Former Member, Editorial Board, Canadian Intellectual Property Review
- Former Co-Chair, Professions Division, Campaign Cabinet, Saskatoon United Way
- Former Director, Jubilee Residences
- Former Director, Saskatoon Symphony Orchestra
- Judge, Tech Venture Challenge, University of Saskatchewan
- Former Director, Saskatchewan Advanced Technology Association
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (Fellow)
BAR ADMISSIONS & EDUCATION
- Alberta Bar, 2004
- Saskatchewan Bar, 2003
- LL.B., University of Saskatchewan, 2000
- M.T.S., St. Paul School of Theology, 1994
- B.A. Honors, Graceland University, 1992
- B.Sc. Advanced, University of Saskatchewan, 1990
- Speaker, “What to Consider Before Contacting a Patent Agent,” Innovation Place (Saskatoon)
- Speaker, “Drafting and Negotiating IP Agreements: Canadian Bar Association: Mid-Winter Meeting
- Speaker, “Protecting Your IP: How to Do It, Why to Care,” Canada-Saskatchewan Business Service Centre; Women Entrepreneurs of Saskatchewan
- Speaker, “Advising Clients on Innovation Handling,” Canadian Bar Association: Saskatchewan Business Law North Section
- Speaker, “Why Patent? Pros and Cons of the System,” Innovation Place (Saskatoon)
- Speaker, “Intellectual Property Law: Tips and Traps,” Canadian Bar Association: Saskatchewan Technology & IP North Section
- Speaker, “Innovation Handling: Contamination, Leakage and Other IP Risks,” Innovation Place (Saskatoon)
PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND AWARDS
- The Best Lawyers in Canada- Technology Law, 2014-2023
- Canadian Lexpert Legal Directory, Intellectual Property, 2019-2022
- Cronkite Prize in Jurisprudence, University of Saskatchewan, 1999
- Orest and Marie Bendas Prize in Jurisprudence, University of Saskatchewan, 1999
- Canada Law Book Co. Prize for Overall standing in the Second-Year Law Class, University of Saskatchewan, 1999
- Academic Scholarship, Dean’s List and Honors list, Graceland University, 1990-1992