Kevin has experience advising both renewable and non-renewable energy clients on a variety of matters, including acquisitions and divestitures, mergers and acquisitions, and project development. His experience includes advising various solar and wind project stakeholders on financing, surface leasing, project development and construction matters, and advising conventional oil and gas clients on various upstream, midstream, and downstream matters (including mineral and surface leasing, farm-in and farm-out arrangements, royalties, joint operating agreements, transportation agreements, fuel supply agreements and dealer agreements).
Kevin additionally advises clients on various commercial real estate matters, including purchases and sales, project financing and development, mortgage financing and commercial leasing.
Conventional Oil and Gas
- Counsel to purchaser on its acquisition of several retail fuel stations for a purchase price of over $250 million.
- Counsel to vendor on its divestiture of upstream oil and gas assets for a purchase price of over $70 million.
- Counsel to a downstream oil and gas client on the preparation of template fuel supply, trademark licensing and other agreements for its retail fuel stations.
- Counsel to upstream oil and gas producers on various upstream acquisition, divestiture and royalty transactions, including purchases and sales of conventional oil and gas wells and pipeline interests
- Counsel to a vendor on the divestiture of a controlling interest in a solar project comprising a 236 MW solar photovoltaic system and a 100 MW battery energy storage system, and to a landowner on corresponding surface lease matters
- Counsel to an international developer on its acquisition of two solar projects having an aggregate nameplate capacity of 30 MW
- Counsel to a First Nation in its acquisition of a 22.5 MW solar project in Alberta from an international developer
- Counsel to a First Nation developer on the development and interconnection of a 10 MW on-reserve solar project in Saskatchewan
- Counsel to a tribal council comprising nine First Nations on the development and construction of an on-reserve solar project in Saskatchewan
- Counsel to an international wind project developer with respect to a surface leasing, power generation, interconnection, battery storage, and carbon market matters
Commercial Real Estate
- Advised municipal governments on various real estate matters, including purchases/sales, commercial leases, municipal access agreements, temporary workspace agreements, crossing agreements, easements, right-of-way agreements, large event agreements, and other matters
- Acted for a real estate investment trust on its $89 million and $26 million sales of several commercial properties in downtown Calgary
- Acted for a property developer in its $14 million purchase of an office building in downtown Calgary
- Counsel to vendors, purchasers and borrowers on various purchase/sale and financing transactions in respect of commercial real estate properties
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Learning Day Facilitator, Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education (CPLED) (2017-2020)
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
- JD (University of Manitoba, 2015)
- B.Sc. (Honours), Chemistry (Queen’s University, 2009)